Indiana mom, 35, dies from drinking too much WATER – after guzzling equivalent of four bottles in 20 minutes
- Mom of two reportedly drank 64oz of water in 20 minutes – a whole day’s worth
- After a day on the lake, the daycare worker said no amount of water satisfied her
- READ MORE: How can drinking too much water KILL you? DM.com explains
A daycare worker in Indiana died of water toxicity after guzzling roughly 64 ounces within just 20 minutes.
Ashley Summers, a mother of two who died at age 35, shortly after spending a leisurely day at Lake Freeman over the long fourth of July weekend.
She had felt lightheaded and had a headached, symptoms of dehydration, but no amount of water could satiate her thirst.
On Tuesday following the holiday, Ms Summers was admitted to the hospital with severe brain swelling that baffled doctors who struggled to remedy it.
Though Ms Summers returned home, she collapsed in her garage soon after and never regained consciousness. At the hospital, doctors diagnosed her with water toxicity, also called hyponatremia which develops as a result of there being too much water in the body and not enough sodium.
Hyponatremia is characterized by insufficient levels of sodium in the body, an essential electrolyte that helps to regulate the delicate balance of fluids in cells as well as maintain proper nerve and muscle function. Drinking too much water dilutes concentrations of sodium in the blood
When Devon Miller, Ashley Summers’ brother heard of his sister’s condition, he was in disbelief.
He said: ‘It was a big shock to us all. I was just like, this is a thing?’
Mr Miller added: ‘She just felt like she couldn’t get enough water… When they left the sand bar to when they got to the dock, it was about a 20 minute boat ride … she drank four bottles of water in that 20 minutes.’